From conceiving the little miracle to giving birth is a memorable journey in a mother’s life. It is full of hope and wonders, yet an anxious time for the expecting mom and her partner. Many would like to document this extraordinary phase in their life through creating beautiful maternity portraiture. And we are here to help as maternity photographers in The Woodlands and the greater Houston area.
When it comes to capturing the essence of your pregnancy, the options are endless. We work with you and your family to customize the perfect session that will reflect your style, personality, and represent your story. There are a few things to keep in mind when we plan your dream maternity session. Here is an overview to get you familiar with the process.
- Timing – Scheduling the session: Most cases, the preferable time to schedule your maternity session is during the early 3rd trimester, between 28 to 33 weeks of pregnancy. Your belly is showing beautifully but you are not too uncomfortable. Based on your due date, we will finalize a date and time. Session time will depend on what you choose for your location, in studio or outdoors. Read more below!
- Locations: maternity photographers portraits can be taken indoors or outdoors. Some moms like to choose both. Again, it is based on your style and personality, and where you would feel most comfortable.
Outdoor Maternity Session: The Woodlands, TX, has some outstanding scenic locations to offer. We will discuss in advance and choose a location that would create a comfortable environment for you and your family to relax and be yourself. This allows us to capture natural and authentic images for you with a beautiful backdrop. The backdrop can be a forest or waterfront, a park or a botanical garden, a flower field, or a farm with horses, or even a vintage house and antique structures.
Keep in mind that the best timing to shoot at an outdoor location is about an hour before sunset, when the light is softer. We will also have to keep the weather in consideration. So, it is always a good idea to have a backup date in case.
Indoor Maternity Session: The best part of doing your session indoors is that timing can be totally flexible as we will be using studio lighting. Also, the weather has no effect on messing with our shoot, a win-win situation. The backdrops can be chosen from many styles. Some moms like simple and neutral backgrounds with a timeless feel. Some prefer more colorful portraits coordinated with their maternity photographers gowns, which we will talk about next.
- What to wear: When it comes to choosing your clothing for the shoot, choices are endless. We offer our maternity client wardrobe, complimentary with the session, but you are welcome to bring your own. Our designer collection include all different colors and styles and we will work with you to choose the right gowns for you. The key is that you feel comfortable, and you will look beautiful no matter what you wear. Based on your selections, we coordinate the backdrops or the locations.
- Hair and Makeup: It is totally up to you if you like to take advantage of utilizing a professional artist for your make up and hair. However, with our experience we have seen that well-done makeup and hair make all the difference in the final result of the photos! Especially when the makeup artist knows how to enhance the beauty of pregnant women specifically for pictures. Therefore, I think this is an investment that is always worth it, and we work with a few outstanding makeup artists in this area.
- Include the Family: If you have older children, your maternity session could be an ideal scenario to capture the anticipation of the entire family getting ready to welcome their newest member with a few family pictures. Not to mention, we will also capture some portraits with your spouse. During our pre-session consultation, we will discuss in detail how to prepare the family, mainly the younger kiddos, for the photoshoot as well as provide some suggestions on their clothing options. We share a written prep guide a few weeks prior to your session detailing what to expect and how to prepare for your session.
Do you have more questions or would like to schedule a consultation? We love to hear from you. Get in touch with me here.